Healthcare coverage is the largest employee-related expense for U.S. employers.In recent years the employee benefits landscape in the United States has been transformed by the escalating costs of healthcare and other benefits, by changes in employment and benefits laws, and by new initiatives and options in healthcare benefits, particularly those set forth in the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Pharmacy benefit costs, in particular, have increased at an alarming rate.Escalating prescription drug cost trends have outpaced medical cost trends, rising from 20% of an organization's overall healthcare spending in the early 2000s to 30% in 2016. CMS projects that drug spending will continue to represent a larger portion of overall health spending over time. As a result, employers are exploring various ways to manage the costs of the health coverage portion of their overall benefits programs.
Attis Healthcare’s PGx and Medication Therapy Management solution empowers employers with information designed to reduce pharmacy spend and improve employee health and productivity.Pharmacogenetics (PGx) and Medication Therapy Management
Pharmacogenetics is testing for genetic differences which can affect individual responses to drugs, in terms of both therapeutic and adverse effects. By personalizing a medication regimen using these unique genetic characteristics, PGx and Medication Therapy Management can lead to reduced trial-and-error prescriptions, decreased time to symptom relief, significant drug and healthcare savings and improved quality of life. The PGx test is a simple cheek swab that is run once and can be used for life. A genetic response report is then generated combining genetic markers, molecular data and clinical evidence. This is where Attis’ solution takes it a step further. While PGx results once could be hard to digest and interpret, we offer an interactive medication management tool allowing the healthcare provider to “play” with alternative drug options to assess how the new therapy would affect drug-gene and drug-drug interactions, and find the scenario that presents the least amount of risk. Powered by genomic data from the Coriell Institute of Medical Research, this tool factors in genetics, demographics and lifestyle factors to help the healthcare provider make scientifically-based treatment decisions. A mobile application enables the patient to also monitor his or her own regimen, as well as that of family members.
PGx - What it is NOT
- A way to target people based on their genetics or lifestyle
- A predictor of future risk of disease
- A traditional wellness program focused on lifestyle management
- An unnecessary “data grab”
- An unnecessary time investment for employees
PGx - What it IS
- A medication management program designed to ensure employees’ medications are safe and effective
- An investment in the employee to help them feel better, increasing their productivity and decreasing absenteeism
- An added benefit to help employees and employers save money on medications and/or overall healthcare spend
- An unnecessary “data grab”
- A tool to empower employees to better take control of their overall health